Monday, July 18, 2011

I heard a Beautiful Sound Today

And I saw a beautiful sight.

I decided to take Micah for a walk today around the neighborhood, pond, and park. There was only one girl at the park, and that NEVER happens, so I decided to stop and take a swing with my baby.

Now this girl was a biggen. Her dad was a biggen. She was sitting in a tire swing and so none of her limbs could reach the ground or any other object, so she was just sitting there not moving one bit.The only sound she made was to tell me that I had a cute baby.

Her dad was sitting on a bench outside of the park smoking a cigarette. She finally started to ask him to come and push her. He slowly got up and worked his way across the park and began pushing this great big, probably eight year old girl.

I wish I could have bottled up her laughter and listened to it when I was down in the dumps some day. It was one of the most beautiful sounds I could have heard at that moment. This girl who probably got teased and made fun of didn't have a care in the world when it was just her and her daddy in the park. The laughing never stopped until dad got tired and stopped pushing. After he did stop, she told him, "You're the best dad in the world!"

What a wonderful thing for a father to hear. What a wonderful thing for a child to feel.

What about you? How do you feel? When God looks down at you does he see his imperfect yet beautiful child going through life full of joy and thinking she has the "best dad in the world." I want to know that my God is the best God in the world, and I want to feel that innocent joy of a child, untainted by this cruel world.

Another beautiful sight that I saw was a mother and daughter playing in the little fountains that squirt out of the ground for little kids. The daughter was probably in her forties, and the mother was probably in her sixties. They were barefoot and having a great time.

When I am sixty I want to dance in the fountains with my daughter without a care in the world.

As I began my walk home I turned around and saw the two women walk away arm in arm, and a smile came across my face.

As you go about your day today, try and see the beauty in the world around you, after all, it's through that beauty that God speaks to you, and smiles back.

For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made (even the laughter of a child), they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Romans 1:20 NLT

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I can well remember a little girl's simple and joyful laughter. There is not much that is more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post today, alicia! i can just hear your voice saying: "biggen"! haha and I loved the story

    ReplyDelete