Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Same Old Lang Syne

An old friend contacted me last week. I hadn't talked to him in a couple of years and a goofy smile lit my face for two days after hearing from him. It's nice to be remembered. It's nice to be worth somebody's time to contact after years of silence.

Because of him I contacted my best friend from junior high. Yes, nearly 15 years after the awkward start of our friendship, she and I always pick up right where we leave off.

We got to talking about another high school friend of mine who isn't doing as well as I had hoped.

My heart is grieved. For years we drudge through this life meeting people, loving them, and hoping for the best for them.... and yet, the Bible says that the road to destruction is wide while the path to life is narrow.

How many of my friends over the years will I not see some day in Heaven? How many of the ones I loved did I neglect to help get there? How many did I, in fact, hinder from getting there?

Old lange syne will be a curse when we look back on the impact we could have had or should have had, when our time was wasted. Our dear friends left forever out of God's company. Forever in a state of torture, forever in a state of despair separated from everything that is good and lasting.

And what could we have done?

What should we have done?


No comments:

Post a Comment