Friday, January 29, 2016

The Spanish Bible

A couple years ago Josh and I loaded our car to the brim, dropped off our children with my mother and headed toward Moore, OK to help with tornado relief there. We were there the day or so after it happened and stayed for several days sifting through people's ravaged belongings trying to salvage what we could find for them.

On the way there, Josh and I went into a gas station. As I was perusing, I noticed a Spanish Bible sitting beside 15 other books or so. It was $5 and I felt very compelled to buy it. I did not. I talked myself out of this purchase by convincing myself I didn't need it, I couldn't even read Spanish well, and just because I had a Bible collection at home didn't mean I needed to impulse buy this Spanish copy. But I really did think I should buy it... and regretted not getting it immediately after we left, but who turns around for a $5 purchase?

Fast forward to one of the last days we were out serving Moore families. I was four months along expecting Jonah, so I did not operate chain saws or do heavy lifting. One particular day the men (including Josh) were all demolishing through the remains of a house, and it left me temporarily idle. I started speaking (very poor) Spanish with a man from South America who was single. He was a humanitarian who randomly flew around the world after natural disasters to help however he could. I spoke a little Spanish and he spoke a little English, and between the two of us we laughed and gestured our way through a great conversation. We had lunch together.

He was very interested in this God of mine which I attempted to tell him about after inquiring about his own faith. He did not know about God where he had come from, and he wanted to know more. He was leaving the following morning to return back home.

I did not have that Spanish Bible to send him home with.

Two and a half years later, my heart is still grieved by this loss of opportunity.

The Lord often speaks in a still, small voice. Today I challenge you to obey that voice. If you are prompted to do or buy something that you don't understand, obey.

The man I met in the path of a tornado's destruction was a seeker. He was a good man and he had done many good works, but he was lost. I do pray God sends another obedient servant to that man, and if he doesn't, I do hope God forgives me.

Damage From the May 2013 Moore, OK Tornado


No comments:

Post a Comment